mlwp.jun.pl Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Previous topic «» Next topic
Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship
Emese 

Posted: 2010-02-28, 21:04   Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship

http://www.swietykrzyz.pl/index1.php?go=historia

można tam zobaczyć:
http://www.swietykrzyz.pl...ecie.php?id=651
Last edited by Veto on 2010-12-11, 12:42; edited 3 times in total  

REKLAMA 

Posted: 2010-12-03, 20:29   

Last edited by Veto on 2010-12-11, 12:42; edited 3 times in total  

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-03, 20:29   

Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship :-D

It's my beloved region in Poland. I live here.
The capital is my city Kielce
Świętokrzyskie is located in the mountains.

We have a lot of castles...

...charming small towns

...Caves

dinosaurs... :mrgreen:

...And everyone knows that witches live here ;-)

http://www.bratanki.xn.pl

Maniek 
Administrator
My name is Maniek

Posted: 2010-12-03, 20:58   

Amazing Poland ! :-o And it is near to me, neighboring province :-)

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-04, 11:37   

Yes, Świętokrzyskie is amazing, but it's not very popular.
I think that everyone knows about Kielce, mountains, Sandomierz, Święty Krzyż and recently Dinopark in Bałtów is a big tourist attraction. ;-)

But we have more surprises. If someone likes literature....

Stefan Żeromski He was born in Strawczyn near Kielce, but he lived in Ciekoty.( a small village in mountains) He studied in Kielce. And a many of his books says about Świętokrzyskie region and about Kielce.

For example:
"Labors of Sisyphus" The novel is based on the author's personal experiences as a child and adolescent in the Russian controlled Congress Poland. It is a portrait of his school and its students attempts to resist the policy of Russification imposed by the Tsarist authorities. The title refers to the Greek myth of Sisyphus, and portrays the attempts to indoctrinate the students as an occasionally successful, but ultimately doomed to failure endeavor.

The novel is set in the town of Klerykowo. One of the main characters, and one of the leaders of the rebellious students is Andrzej Radek, a farmer's son.

Klerykowo it's Kielce :-P The places in the book are the same like in my city.

Spring of Biruta or "Oath of love" :mrgreen: . It's important place from this book.

Homeless people- “Homeless people” is the fifth book by Stefan Żeromski that was printed. It was written in 1899 in Zakopane, and considered by critics and readers to have a huge social and political impact. The writer started with it a new type of contemporary novels, settled in the realities of Polish lifestyle at the end of 19th century that was subordinated to the main idea – social work. That kind of works decide to do doctor Judym who after years of sacrifices becomes a doctor in order to help other people, especially the poor and wronged ones.

In Zakopane Żeromski has met Tomasz Janiszewski who became the prototype of the main character – Tomasz Judym.

The writer prepared himself very well to writing the novel, which constitutes the effect of his cognitive passion and positivistic views that writing must be joined with an honest, even scientific penetration of social reality and one’s own believes. Thanks to “Homeless people” Żeromski gained the title of the “spiritual guide of the generation”. The novel was seen as the work treating about social and moral problems of the epoch, as a protest against stratification and misery of the poorest social strata of the nation. By some it was also considered to be an ideological manifesto proclaiming the fight with opportunism and egoism. Because of the novel Żeromski became a huge moral authority for him contemporaries (not only in Poland – “Homeless people” were published in 14 languages). He exerted a direct influence on the young people’s way of thinking in the beginning of the 19th century.

Joanna Podobrska was a main character in "Homeless peopole" and she was from... Kielce :sup: You can read that she loved a few place. Karczówka and Kadzielnia.Hmmm yesterday i was in Kadzielnia :-D

And Monstery on Karczówka hill

Henryk Sienkiewicz was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. A Polish szlachcic (noble) of the Oszyk coat of arms, he was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

He isn't from my region, but... near Kielce in Oblęgorek is his residence.

Mikołaj Rej He was born in Nagłowice.

And Gustaw Herling-Grudziński was born near Kielce, Bolesław Prus studied in grammar school in my city and Adolf Dygasiński was born near Pińczów.

Other interesting things:

The first polish anthem "Gaude Mater Polonia" created Wincenty from Kielce

By the way :-D

The Holy Cross Sermons (Polish: Kazania świętokrzyskie), so called after the Holy Cross Monastery in Poland's Holy Cross Mountains (Polish: Góry Świętokrzyskie) where they had originally been housed: dating from the 14th century, they are the oldest extant manuscripts of fine prose in the Polish language.

Do you know "My pierwsza brygada?" ;-) Of course you know.
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/wa...feature=related

Melody of this track is March of the Kielce :-D

We have an ancient oak tree in Poland :mrgreen: "Bartek"

Bartek is an ancient oak tree in Poland. It grows in Zagnańsk near Kielce in the Świętokrzyskie Mountains. Its age, long estimated at up to 1200 years, has recently been established at 625 years, with a corer used to extract a sample for proper counting of the growth rings. There are three older oaks in Poland, though none so famous as Bartek.

The 30-metre tall Bartek measures 13.5 metres in girth at its base. Its crown spreads about 40 metres. Under the Bartek oak tree, King Casimir III is known to have been pictured as holding his court. It is also told that Jan III Sobieski rested under this tree on his way back from the Battle of Vienna, and hid a Turkish sabre, an arquebus and a bottle of wine inside it. The old oak is in decline.

But if you like history. :sup:

The soldiers from Westerplatte. They were stationed in Kielce-Bukówka before they went to Gdańsk. A lot of this soldiers live/lived in my region after war.

Major Henryk Dobrzański aka "Hubal", was a Polish soldier, sportsman and partisan. He was the first guerrilla commander of the Second World War in Europe.

Jan Piwnik (1912-1944) was a Polish World War II soldier, a cichociemny and a notable leader of the Home Army in the Świętokrzyskie Mountains. He used the noms de guerre Ponury ("Gloomy" or "Grim") and Donat.

but :)

We have also a famous knight
Zawisza Czarny...

...from Grabów

Stary Garbów [ˈstarɨ ˈɡarbuf] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Dwikozy, within Sandomierz County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Poland. It lies approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi) north of Dwikozy, 11 km (7 mi) north of Sandomierz, and 83 km (52 mi) east of the regional capital Kielce.

And near is Ujazd and Castle "Krzyżtopór" I think that it's the best castle in Southern Poland. It's magic place.

But if you like military, you have to go to Skarżysko.

Last edited by Veto on 2010-12-04, 14:13; edited 1 time in total  

dragonfly 

Posted: 2010-12-04, 12:46   

Family on my father's side is from Starachowice and Jędrzejów, but unfortunately I've never been there :(

Maniek 
Administrator
My name is Maniek

Posted: 2010-12-04, 14:05   

Beautiful military museum ! :-o I did not know about it :-)

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-04, 14:12   

Jędrzejów. It's a small town between Kielce and Kraków.

Jędrzejów was founded near the 12th century Cistercian monastery, which is known as the Blessed Wincenty Kadłubek Church; the town also has another dating to that period, the St. Trinity Church. The town is also famous for its clock museum (the Przypkowscy Clock Museum).

Kadłubek was born to a wealthy Polish family in Karwów near Opatów
BTW He is a next famous person from Świętokrzyskie

Jędrzejów

Starachowice is typical Industrial town. The pride of this town are trucks :-D

Star- the symbol of Polish streets

Quote:
Beautiful military museum ! I did not know about it

Muzeum im."Orła Białego" w Skarżysku-Kamiennej

Shimizu 

Posted: 2010-12-06, 20:37   

Wow! Great article :sup:
I tried to persuade Maniek on a trip to Krzyżtopór. :mrgreen:

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-07, 16:36   

"Krzyżtopór" is located in small village Ujazd. This place is away from main roads ;-)

Near Ujazd are other intersting places.

Kurozwęki [kurɔˈzvɛnki] is a village in the district of Gmina Staszów, within Staszów County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Poland. It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) north-west of Staszów and 48 km (30 mi) south-east of the regional capital Kielce.

The village's history dates back to the 13th century. It had city rights from 15th to 19th centuries. It has several tourist attractions, including a 14th-century palace, open for visitors, with a bison farm nearby, and a 15th-century church.

The palace

The maize maze

Safari :lol:

Szydłów [ˈʂɨdwuf] is a village in Staszów County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship, in south-central Poland. It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Szydłów. It lies approximately 13 kilometres (8 mi) west of Staszów and 43 km (27 mi) south-east of the regional capital Kielce. The village has a population of 1,076.

Szydłów's history dates to the 12th century. It gained its city rights in 1329 and lost them in 1869. It has several tourist attractions, including the 16th-century Szydłów Synagogue, several buildings and churches dating to the 14th century and the ruins of a castle from the same period.

The first official inventory of important buildings in Poland, A General View of the Nature of Ancient Monuments in the Kingdom of Poland, led by Kazimierz Stronczynski from 1844-55, describes the Szydłów Synagogue as one of Poland's architecturally notable buildings.

I think, Szydłów is not very interesting, but charming. It's really sleepy small town ;-)

And i'm sure, that you know this "guy" :-P

Koziołek Matołek (Matołek the Billy-Goat) is a fictional character created by Kornel Makuszyński (story) and Marian Walentynowicz (art) in one of the first and most famous Polish comics back in 1933. It became a cult classic, popular since its creation till today, and becoming an important part of canon of Polish children's literature.

They all center around the quest that Matołek, an anthropomorphic goat, undertakes: to find Pacanów, a town where it is rumored they are making goatshoes. Matołek's adventures are amusing if sometimes surreal, and the titular hero is nice, naive, clumsy, laughable and not very bright - in many regards similar to another famous children stories character, Winnie the Pooh of A.A. Milne. His search for Pacanów will take him to various corners of the Earth, from Africa to the Wild West.

The story has visible patriotic undertones, from Matołek's colors (white fur and red shorts, evoking the flag of Poland) to his homesick feelings for Poland, which appear when he finds himself in one of the far-away places.

Pacanów, the European Capital of Fable.In modern times the village is partly noted for its connection to the fictional character Koziołek Matołek.

:arrow: The website of European centre of fable in Pacanów

Bonus! The view from Świętokrzyskie mountains ;-)

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-11, 12:48   

I've decided connect topics about Kielce and Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship ;-)

Kielce-My city ;-)

:arrow: The Movie about Kielce (1/2)
:arrow: The movie about Kielce (2/2)

And about my region.

:arrow: Świętokrzyskie :-D

Mariusz Jarz±bek wrote:
Nice city :) For people ;-) I must go to Kielce.

Shimizu wrote:
Let me add a link to Wikipedia, maybe someone will want to read something more about the city ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielce

I've never been in Kielce, but I liked the street on the last photo :D I want go there!

It's Sienkiewicza Street- The heart of my city :-D

Debowy wrote:
It looks very nice :-)

Lanti 

Posted: 2010-12-11, 13:18   

You live in a very-very beautiful city! :)

Ps.: I saw many photos of Polish cities and I can say: the Polish city streets are much cleaner than the Hungarian ones. And the buildings are very maintained.

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-11, 15:33   

Yes, today Kielce is beautiful city, but i remember when it was different.
Kielce had a very bad opinion in Poland. Today this city is associated with sport, the most beautiful street, the first modern football stadium and The Kielce International Fair.

But a little more about my city...

Although Kielce has more than 900 years of history, the exact date of the city’s birth is difficult to establish. Archaeological research indicates that the beginning was here long before the existing of a small settlement, which developed as a place of trade of goods.

the legend about Kielce

The area of Kielce has been inhabited since at least the 5th century BC. Until the 6th or 7th century the banks of the Silnica were inhabited by Kelts. They were driven out by a Slavic tribe of Vistulans who started hunting in the nearby huge forests and had settled most of the area now known as Małopolska and present-day Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship. The lands of Wiślanie were at first subdued by Bohemia, however they soon came under the control of the Piast dynasty and became a part of Poland. According to a local legend, Mieszko, son of Boleslaus II of Poland dreamt he was attacked by a band of brigands in a forest. In the dream he saw a vision of Saint Adalbert who drew a winding line which turned into a stream. When Mieszko woke up, he found the Silnica River whose waters helped him regain strength. He also discovered huge white tusks of an unknown animal. Mieszko announced he would build a town and a church to St. Adalbert at that site. According to this legend, the city's name Kielce commemorates the mysterious tusks (kieł in Polish).

So we have a "big pig" in city centre :-D

In the background is "the square of artist". It's very popular place in Kielce, i think it's the most important square in city, because we hadn't a normall old square market. Since i remember there was roundabout :shock:

But now there is a repairs, and it looks

Nice? ;-)

and The square of artist

There is a lot of exhibitions. like this :-D

Near this square is next magic places. The palace and cathedral.

I very like this place. There is amazing atmosphere :sup:

Under the walls of the palace is city park

But the best place in Kielce is Sienkiewicza street. A few photos is on the top ;-)

The pride of my city is sport. Football team- Korona Kielce

It's really pride :-P

Handball team - Iskra (Vive Targi) Kielce

And volleyball team

My favourite building. UFO bus station :lol:

Other charming place is Kadzielnia. It's old quarry. Now there is a beautiful amphitheater between the rocks.

:arrow: Concert "Sabat Czarownic" in Kadzielnia- Edyta Górniak
:arrow: Concert "Sabat Czarownic" in Kadzielnia- Feel

BTW "Sabat Czarownic means Witches' Sabbath. Witches are symbol of Świętokrzyskie.

In the evening i'll write about witches , buck-knives, something about history, and...Jack the Ripper ;-)

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-11, 21:39   

Scyzoryki, Scyzory (The buck-knives) It's a nickname of Kielce inhabitants. Why? I don't know. The oldest document about "Scyzoryki" from Kielce is written in 1911, but we identify with this.

"We are the buck-knives"

This nickname was very popular in 1995, when Liroy (the pioneers of rap & hip-hop culture in Poland) created a track "Scyzoryk" about him life and Kielce.

But the symbol of Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship are witches! Why?

Łysa Góra [ˈwɨsa ˈɡura] (Bald Mountain; also known as Łysiec or Święty Krzyż) is a well-known mountain in Świętokrzyskie Mountains, Poland. With a height of 595 meters (1,952 ft), it is the second highest mountain in that range (after Łysica at 612 meters or 2,008 ft). On its slopes and atop its summit are several hiking trails, the ruins of a pagan wall from 9th century, the Benedictine monastery Święty Krzyż from the 11th century (destroyed during the Second World War, now partially restored), and a Święty Krzyż TV Tower. The mountain also features prominently in a local legend about witches' sabbaths

When i was little i"ve heard many legends about witches, devils, castles, princesses and other strange things in Świętokrzyskie mountains.

I know only one witch :mrgreen: Everyone can meet her every day in Kielce. Exactly at 12 o'clock

I've written about great history in Kielce, so i have to write about embarrassing history.

The Kielce pogrom was an outbreak of violence against the Jewish community in the city of Kielce, Poland on July 4, 1946, perpetrated by a mob of local townsfolk and members of the official government forces of the People's Republic of Poland. Following a false tale of child kidnapping, including allegations of blood libel[1] which led to a police investigation, violence broke out during which around 40 Jews were killed. Polish courts later tried and condemned nine people to death in connection with the incident.

As the deadliest pogrom against Polish Jews after World War II, the incident was a significant point in the post-war history of Jews in Poland. The Kielce event took place only a year after the end of WWII and the Holocaust, shocking Jews in Poland, many Poles, as well as the international community. It has been considered a catalyst for the flight of most Jewish-Polish Holocaust survivors from the country.

It's really difficult history for my city. Every year we must listen, that we're anti-Semites :roll: In fact it was a provocation of Soviets and polish communists (i.e. Jews...)

Interesting character is Jack the Ripper

The famous series killer from London. From London? No! Probably from Kielce :ws:

South African researcher Charles van Onselen argues in his latest book, “The Fox and the Flies,” that the true identity of late 19th century killer Jack the Ripper was Joseph Silver. Born Joseph Lis in Kielce, Poland, in 1868,(He was a jew) Silver got his start in crime in London. He then committed a string of petty offenses in New York before heading to South Africa and South America.

No comment...

Shimizu 

Posted: 2010-12-12, 09:57   

Lanti wrote:
Ps.: I saw many photos of Polish cities and I can say: the Polish city streets are much cleaner than the Hungarian ones. And the buildings are very maintained.

That goes for probably only representative streets and places. Unfortunately.

Veto, great job!
I added Świętokrzystkie to the list of "must see" ;)

Veto 

Posted: 2010-12-29, 15:08   

Today photos of Marshal Józef Piłsudski and polish legions in Kielce ;-)

After the outbreak of World War I, Kielce was the first Polish city to be liberated from Russian rule by the Polish Legions under Józef Piłsudski

Our city was important for Piłsudski and his soldiers even after the war.

Pilsudski's funeral

curiosity ;-) The same places in my city 90 years ago and today

]

Reply to topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Add this topic to your bookmarks
Printable version